- 2 ounces Bombarda rum of choice
- 1 teaspoon demerara syrup
- 1 teaspoon allspice dram
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 2 dashes of Angostura bitters
Method of Attack:
- Place a large ice cube into an Old Fashioned glass.
- Add the rum, demerara syrup, allspice dram and both bitters, and stir until well-chilled.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
About this Recipe:
Dark rum presents oaky notes from aging in barrels, which should appeal to whiskey drinkers, and the allspice dram lends an additional layer of spice and complexity. Simple syrup will suffice, but demerara syrup made from raw cane sugar provides a richer taste and mouthfeel. Finally, the doubled-up bitters bring structure and balance in the form of zesty, insidious citrus and bold aromatics.
This may not be the Old Fashioned you’re used to, but it’s an Old Fashioned whose acquaintance you’ll want to make. The profile mirrors the whiskey-based version enough that even the old salts will be happy, while offering enough unique character to please drinkers who want to branch out.